GGSN Project for OJSC VimpelCom
Given the rapidly developing and changing mobile technologies, the carrier was forced to build locking nodes in packet networks with the support of 2G/3G/4G network subscribers, providing a substantial margin of scalability and capital savings.
CTI has jointly developed an integrated solution to the challenge set with the vendor Cisco Systems. The proposed solution is based on the Cisco ASR 5000 multimedia core platform. The functionality of GGSN and IPTA (IP Traffic Analyzer) have been simultaneously incorporated in this platform.
The following works have been performed:
- Technical solutions development, laboratory prototyping and demonstrations to the customer per requested volume of functionality and productivity.
- Site survey and equipment installation at the carrier’s five regional offices (St. Petersburg, Rostov-on-Don, Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg and Kaliningrad).
- Equipment commissioning and integration with the carrier’s infrastructure.
- Pilot operations launch and transfer of commercial traffic to the new equipment.
- Provision of 24/7 skilled service support.
Through commissioning the new equipment, the customer has received the following benefits:
- A universal platform for the mobile carrier’s packet core with support for 2G/3G/4G networks and the option to combine GGSN/SGSN/PGW/SGW/MME features in the same chassis (all-in-box).
- The option to incorporate extra services (IPTA / DPI / PCEF / NAT, etc.) using the platform.
- A considerable performance margin without having to upgrade any hardware (up to several million of subscribers).